Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Thorn In Your Side

TextSo now I declare that I will no longer drive out the people living in your land. They will be thorns in your sides, and their gods will be a constant temptation to you” (Judges 2:3, NLT).

Insight That was not the plan… The plan was that God was giving the land to the tribes of Israel, but they were to drive out the people living there. They were to destroy their alters and not to make any covenants with them.
However, Judah “failed to drive out the people living in the plains” (1:19). Benjamin “failed to drive out the Jebusites” (1:21). Manasseh “failed to drive out the people living in Beth-shan” (1:27) because the people in that region “were determined to stay.” Ephriam “failed to drive out the Canaanites” (1:29) while Zebulun “failed to drive out the residents of Kitron” (1:30). Asher and Nephtalli failed too. Dan was actually forced backwards by the Amorites who “would not let them come down into the plains” (1:34). Then the angel of the Lord declared “I will no longer drive out the people living in your land” (2:3). And the people wept loudly
As I read this story, I have to personally reflect into my own life asking, “Are there any alters in my life I have failed to destroy?” I ask myself if I need to drive out Offense, Anger or Bitterness in my life. Is selfishness determined to stay? Is there a part of my old man that I need to drive out of my life? Are there any bad habits that are limiting me or forcing me backwards? I want to take advantage of the Gospel Truth, “I can do everything through him who gives me strength” (Phil 4:13) and that includes driving out every limiting habit, attitude, action or inhabitant in Jesus Name.

Prayer Father, thank You for Your great and precious promises. Thank You for new life in Christ. Help me to continue to drive out the enemy. Help me to walk free from that which wants to limit me. In Jesus name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment