Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Humility, 1 Peter 5:6

Text
So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor” (1 Peter 5:6, NLT).

Insight
Best I figure… there are at least two ways to reach a posture of humility. First, is to be humbled by your circumstance or those around you. The second, is to humble yourself. I recommend the second.
Peter quotes Proverbs 3:34 when he writes, “God opposes the proud but favors the humble.” It is common sense, but no man wants to be opposed by God. On the contrary, we want and need His favor. Humility is the way.
Humility is that inner posture of lowliness. It is unassuming and has an unselfish concern for the welfare of others. Humble attitudes are devoid of arrogance, conceit or haughtiness. The humble man is Christ-like man “Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death, even death on a cross” (Philippians 2:6 – 8, NIV)!
In humility we have a proper estimation of ourselves. We realize our vulnerability to the devils schemes and our need to resist him. We stay close to God, our Life and Source. We keep our hearts pure and guard ourselves from divided loyalties. We recognize and trust “the mighty power of God.” We are patient knowing at the proper time He will “lift you up in honor.” “So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God.”

Prayer
Father, I choose to humble myself today under your mighty power. I recognize my weaknesses and need for You. I trust You that at the proper time you will lift me up in honor. Help me to not take situations into my own hands but remember “you care for me.” In Jesus name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment