Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Stand Firm, 1 Peter 5:8 - 9

Text
Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 9 Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.” (1 Peter 5:8 – 9, NLT).

Insight
It is vital that men “Stay alert” and “Watch out” for the enemy. For the enemy is in search of prey, men off their post. He actively roams stealthily around our homes, in our private worlds and among our dreams. He has a predatory intent and is looking for something to steal. He is “looking for someone to devour” (3:8, NLT). Are you alert and watchful?
Aware of his tactics and goals, men are to “stand firm against him” and “be strong in your faith” (3:9). So posture yourself for battle, man! The fight is on. The battle is real. The stakes are high. Remain humble. Resist this enemy and his temptations. Die to self and the cravings of your sinful nature. Extinguish the passions that lure you into his trap. Do so by drawing near to God and allowing Him to draw near to you.
Purify your heart. Ask God… “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life” Pray the prayer of the Psalmist: “Teach me your decrees, O Lord; I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart… Give me an eagerness for your laws rather than a love for money! Turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through your word… Help me abandon my shameful ways; for your regulations are good” (Psalm 119:33ff).

Prayer
Father, wake me up and stir me to be alert. Guard me from the deceptions of my enemy. Help me to posture myself by being strong in my faith. Search me, O God, and point out the areas where I am vulnerable. Turn my eyes from worthless things. In Jesus name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment