Thursday, September 24, 2009

Face Down

Text
But the next morning the same thing happened – Dagon had fallen face down before the Ark of the Lord again. This time his head and hands had broken off and were lying in the doorway. Only the trunk of his body was left intact” (1 Samuel 5:4, NLT).

Insight
Does anyone find this scene humorous? How surprised were the Philistines to find Dagon face down before the Ark of God… And then face down again the next day with his head and arms broken off lying in the doorway? Don’t tell me God doesn’t have a since of humor.
But what is the truth behind the humorous scene? What can we glean from the face down position of Dagon before the Ark of God?
Hannah had it right when she prayed, “There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God… those who oppose the Lord will be shattered” (1 Samuel 2:2, 10). The Psalmist got it right saying, “Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord; no deeds can compare with yours. All the nations you have made will come and worship before you” (Ps 86:8,9). Moses understood it praying, “O Sovereign Lord… what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do” (Deut 3:24). And Paul wrote about it declaring, “…that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Phil 2:10,11).
Prostrate and broken are good postures before the Lord. “For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods. Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care” (Ps 95:3,6,7).


Prayer Father, forgive me for the times I have sought glory for myself. I humble myself before You today. You are the great God and King. I submit my desires, agenda and dreams before You. In Jesus name, AMEN.

1 comment:

  1. You know what caught my attention in this chapter...glad you asked....LOL...

    I know some of them died but God allowed the Philistines to realize the error of their ways and make a change instead of immediately anihilating them...He made the sick until they moved the Ark...To me that showed a great deal of Mercy...and caused me to wonder....

    Am I merciful to those that:
    oppose me?
    vote differently than me?
    disagree with my theology?

    God showed a great deal of restraint. Perhaps because in verse 12 it says that the "cry of the city went up to heaven." Perhaps God hears us all. Perhaps He has compassion on us all..While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

    I think my take away from this chapter was to try and be a more compassionate with folks with whom I disagree...

    But, I wouldn't want to be Dagon!! LOL

    ReplyDelete