Saturday, October 3, 2009

We Want A King

Text

“But the people refused to listen to Samuel’s warning. ‘Even so, we still want a king,’ they said. ‘We want to be like the nations around us. Our king will judge us and lead us into battle’” (1 Sam 8:19-20, NLT).


Insight

Israel rejected God. The Lord was aware of this saying, “They don’t want me to be their king any longer.” (1 Samuel 8:7). Matter of fact the Lord says, “Ever since I brought them from Egypt they have continually abandoned me and followed other gods” (8:8).

What were they thinking? Perhaps they thought… “A new system of government will bring about a change in the nation. But because their basic problem was disobedience to God, their other problems would only continue under the new administration” (NLT Study Bible, p. 420). Said another way, their problem was not a governmental problem, it was a heart issue. So even after they were warned about how a king will reign over them they respond, “’Even so, we still want a king,’ they said. We want to be like the nations around us. Our king will judge us and lead us into battle” (1 Samuel 8:20).

It was not wrong to have a king… but it was their motives behind the desire (To be like the nations around them) that was in question. Israel was called out to be separate from other nations: “I have set you apart from all other people to be my very own,” said the Lord (Leviticus 20:26). They were called to be holy, as God Himself is holy.

The facts are… no government can legislate holiness. No change in government structures will address the heart issues of disobedience. Rebellion and disobedience can’t be controlled by rules and more laws. Matter of fact the vary nature of rebellion and disobedience thrives in rules and laws. Need a heart change? Call out to God before you agree to a king.


Prayer

Father, forgive me for my disobedience. Thank You for setting me apart as Your very own. I hunger to be holy as You are holy. Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me. In Jesus name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment