Thursday, January 28, 2010

Desire

Text
The sinful nature wants to do what is evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us the desires that are opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intensions” (Galatians 5:17, NLT).

Insight
Two opposing forces stir desires in my life. These forces “are constantly fighting each other.” The sinful nature produces desires to do evil creating and erratic compulsions that lead me towards a trap. On the other hand, the Holy Spirit produces desires designed to lead me in love and towards freedom.
I have no control over whether or not I experience these desires. They come and go. I do, however, have a choice in how I respond to them.
Paul reveals that I have two choices when it comes to responding to the desires of the sinful nature: Gratify or Crucify. When I choose to gratify the desires of the sinful nature the results are a life that “will not inherit the Kingdom of God” (5:21). When I crucify these desires I live free to follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
I also have two choices when it comes to responding to the Holy Spirit: Follow or Squander. When I follow the desires of the Holy Spirit, He produces the fruit of the Spirit in my life… I serve others and love others as myself. However, when I squander the leading of the Spirit I forfeit a satisfying and fulfilling encounter with Him.
How should I respond? Nail “the passions and desires of the sinful nature to his cross” and crucify them there. Live by the Spirit and follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of your life (5:24).

Prayer
Father, I choose to crucify the desires of my sinful nature! Also, I choose to follow the desires and leading of the Spirit. Thank You for giving me the freedom in Christ to choose. In Jesus name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment