Thursday, October 8, 2009

Don't Compromise

Text
Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams” (1 Samuel 15:22, NIV).

Insight

One of Saul’s fatal errors was his willingness compromise. It cost him the kingdom. No matter what others were doing around him, Saul held the ultimate responsibility for his own actions and decisions. No matter how he tried to rationalize it, at the end of the day it was compromise.
Saul compromised in the battle with the Philistines: “So he demanded, ‘Bring me the burnt offering and the peace offerings!’ And Saul sacrificed the burnt offering himself” (13:9). He failed to wait for Samuel. In doing so he acted foolishly and took matters into his own hands… doing as he saw fit.
He also compromised in the battle with Amalekites: “Saul and his men spared Agag’s life and kept the best of the sheep and goats, the cattle, the fat calves and the lambs- everything, in fact, that appealed to them. They destroyed only what was worthless or of poor quality” (15:9). Saul was afraid of the people and gave in to them. He sinned and violated God’s command. His partial obedience was not obedience at all.
Samuel cuts to the heart of the matter saying, “Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams” (15:22, NIV). Compromise isn’t a short cut… it’s a sell out. It never get’s you anywhere. It destroys your future and diminishes your influence. Compromise is your enemy! Obedience is best. “Blessed are they who maintain justice, who constantly do what is right” (Ps 106:3, NIV).

Prayer

Father, I rid myself of compromise. I refuse to take shortcuts. I desire to do Your will and constantly do what is right. Yes, Lord, obedience is better than sacrifice. Find me faithful. In Jesus name, AMEN.

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Todd,
    This was a struggle for me early in my walk because I went to a church that was real big on sowing and reaping financially in the beginning. I did things out of obligation in fear that if I didn't I was being disobedient. Then I read this "obedience is better than sacrifice." Then I realized how important my relationship with God is. Thus I was set free and understood thata if I did not work on my relationship with God so I could be obedient to Him and not do things out of obligation if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete