Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In My Power

Text
The Lord gives his own reward for doing good and for being loyal, and I refused to kill you even when the Lord placed you in my power, for you are the Lord’s anointed one” (1 Samuel 26:23, NLT).

Insight

How do you handle the power the Lord has given to you? How do you handle the authority, the finances, the freedom and the responsibilities God has placed in your life?
Just because you can… doesn’t always mean you should! Doing what is right and just in the Lord’s sight is vital. So being able to do something doesn’t automatically make it right or good.
David learned this lesson with Abigail. In his anger he committed to kill Nabal. Yet, even though he and his 400 men were powerful enough to destroy every male among them, it didn’t make it right. Abigail consulted David against the needless bloodshed, the staggering burden and the mis-handling of his power.
Shortly thereafter, God tests David again to reveal if David had learned how to rightly handle power. “The Lord placed you in my power” (26:23), David said. And David passed the test by sparing Saul’s life.
David sought “first his kingdom and his righteousness” (Matthew 6:33, NIV) believing that “all these things will be given… as well.” He rightly and justly handled his power knowing that “the Lord gives his own reward for doing good and for being loyal” (26:23).
What is the right and just expression of power in your life today? Are you ready to pass the power test? Do good! Be loyal and trust God to reward you! “And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you” (Matt 6:4).

Prayer
Father, help me to be good and loyal in the use of power. Give me discernment. Guard me from the misuse of power. I trust you to reward me as I choose what is right and good. In Jesus name, AMEN.

1 comment:

  1. I love where he says, "I refuse to kill you..., for you are the Lord's anointed one." This guy has been trying to kill him when all David has done is honor and respect him, and build his kingdom by defeating many armies. This speaks loudly to my life. I think about all the people that have wronged me, or acted out of integrity around me, and I feel justified to kill them socially or relationally. It seems like God is saying, "Relax, I have a plan. Even for Saul who is wicked (and bipolar apparently). And if you cut that plan short or interfere with that plan, Saul will never get the opportunity to reap the spiritual harvest I've laid before him". Besides, how many times have we been Saul to someone else? And what would our lives be like if no ever showed us grace and mercy when we wronged them? God's promise of redemption and restoration is compromised when we take judgement and persecution into our hands, no matter how justified we may feel. "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - Matthew 7:2. Lord give me grace and mercy so that I may pour it out unto others - Amen.

    ReplyDelete