Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Overlooked and Chosen

Text
The LORD said to Samuel, ‘How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king’” (1 Samuel 16:1, NIV).

Insight
The LORD said to Samuel, ‘How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king’” (16:1). And so Samuel goes to Bethlehem, finds Jesse and invites him and his sons to a sacrifice. Yet David is overlooked by father and family… and in a Cinderella type story, isn’t invited to the ball.
After the parade of favorites, the 7 sons of Jesse, Samuel says, “The Lord has not chosen any of these. Are these all the sons you have?” (16:10-11, NLT). And Jesse replies, “There is still the youngest.” Samuel then demands, “Send for him at once.”
When David arrives and is standing among his brothers, the Lord says, “This is the one; anoint him” (16:12). And Samuel learns that the “Lord does not see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart” (16:7).
So God chooses the son who was overlooked and “the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David from that day on” (16:13). Favor and a good name followed David being described as: “A brave warrior, a man of war, and has good judgment. He is also a fine-looking young man, and the Lord is with him” (16:18). So he enters the court of the king because Saul “loved David very much” and was “very pleased with him” (16:21 – 22).

Prayer
Father, thank you for loving me and choosing me. I will live a life that pleases You. On the days when I am overlooked, I will remember You chose me, anointed me and have sent your Spirit upon me. In Jesus name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment