Sunday, October 4, 2009

Peace and Restoration

Text
Then Samuel said to all the people of Israel, ‘If you are really serious about wanting to return to the Lord, get rid of your foreign gods and your images of Ashtoreth. Determine to obey only the Lord; then he will rescue you from the Philistines’” (1 Samuel 7:3, NLT).

Insight
The pathway to peace and the road to restoration is not paved with good intentions. Rather it is constructed on the firm commitments and resolve of believers who are “really serious about wanting to return to the Lord” (1 Samuel 7:3, NLT).
Peace can be illusive and restoration can appear impossible. But all things are possible with God. Times when peace is absent and brokenness exists is often a result of our own choices. These seasons are frequently birthed out of our own desires to mingle with the world. Instead of seeking first His Kingdom and His righteousness or loving the Lord our God with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind and all our strength… we compromise. We are detoured off the path and attempt to find significance in life through stuff, possessions and people. After pursuing these, I realize how empty I am and my need for the Lord.
Praise God for His voice that speaks directly to my need… “If you are really serious about wanting to return to the Lord, get rid of your” ____. Determine to obey only the Lord. Then He will rescue you form ____. Like the morning alarm, this instruction awakens me from my slumber. It focuses me on the day ahead. It invites me to worship the Lord only.
As Israel responded to the Lord and determined to get rid of their images of Baal and the Ashtoreth and worship the Lord, eventually their enemies were subdued. As they honored the Lord, He lifted His “powerful hand” against their enemies. Restoration came and there was peace in the land. So, as we rid our lives of evil and worship God alone, He will lift His powerful hand against our enemies, bringing peace and restoration to us.


Prayer

Father, I long for the peace and restoration You bring. I realize much of my stress and brokenness has come from my own poor choices. Forgive me and give me the resolve to rid myself of evil and worship You alone. In Jesus name, AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment